Analysis of Quebec Budget 2019-2020
HIGHLIGHTS – LIFE SCIENCES SECTOR
● A 5.4% increase in spending on health and social services in 2019-2020;
● $1.5 billion over five years to strengthen home care and support services;
● $105 million over five years to improve the quality of life of informal caregivers;
● $1.1 billion over five years to hire more resources such as nurses and caregiving staff;
● $564 million as of 2021 over three years to roll out seniors’ homes;
● $574 million over five years to improve direct services for the population, including frontline services.
Research and innovation
● $18 million over five years to support Quebec researchers;
● Support for researchers associated with public bodies for access to health data;
● Increased number of ISQ points of service (particularly in Sherbrooke and Montreal), and simplified process related to access to health data;
● $7.5 million to support Génome Québec in its operation, financing of research platforms and co-financing of research activities in genomics;
● $329 million over five years to acceleration the adoption of artificial intelligence, including $100 million for research (IVADO ($35 million) MILA ($32 million))
● $9.5 million for research on Alzheimer’s disease.